Most of you know that Vitamin D is important for bones, but that is just the start to this under-utilized nutrient. This post will give you an insight into a few benefits that have influenced me enough to add Vitamin D to my daily regimen.
To review, my personal regimen includes:
1. Omega with CO-Q10 – 1000 mg/100 mg – by Nordic Naturals
2. Super Pro Biotic – 75 Billion CFU – by Kirkman Labs
3. Magnesium AAC – 200 mg – Regel Pharmalab
4. Active Life Nutrients – Multi-vitamins – Regel Pharmalab
5. Vitamin D3 – 5000 iu – Regel Pharmalab
6. Zinc Monomethionine – 20 mg – Regel Pharmalab Originally, I decided that I needed a little help with my immune system. Whatever sickness the kids brought home from school, I ended up catching. This bothered me because I noticed that Summer, my wife, never seemed to catch anything. After much consideration, I came to the conclusion that my immune system must not be functioning as well as it should. I then started to research ways to boost the immune system and I landed on Vitamin D. I know many of you might be thinking that I should be discussing Vitamin C, and I agree. That was my first thought, too. After assessing my diet, I realized that I was getting some Vitamin C. What I was not getting was sunshine. Sunshine is required by your body for you to make Vitamin D. I then had my Vitamin D checked and it showed that I was low. A low Vitamin D level is below 30. I discussed this with a physician friend of mine. She told me that she checked everyone that received a routine blood level for vitamin D for one month. She said that she was shocked that over 95% of those patients were low and that most were very low (below 20). After doing more research,
So, I had some work to do. I then started to take 10,000 iu of Vitamin D3 every day. With this amount of Vitamin D3, I was able to raise my level into the 40’s. Still not where I was shooting, but a lot closer. What I also found out was that getting to the 50 to 80 level was not that easy. I heard a presentation that discussed getting a booster of Vitamin D3 in an injection once a year and then maintaining the level with daily supplementation. I gave this a try and was able to get to the goal. Why is this goal of 50 – 80 so important for the immune system? The answer to this question was a real eye-opener. The immune system is in control of not only infections but also protects you from other conditions, including cancer. Some reports are showing that vitamin D may provide protection from Prostate, Kidney, Pancreatic, Lung, Gastric and Breast Cancers. I believe that most research shows that the benefit lies in the immune support provided by vitamin D. Other benefits of getting to the range of 50 – 80 are the effects on the heart, cardiovascular system, and the brain. Reports are showing that a proper vitamin D level can help lower blood pressure and can help patients with declining cognitive function, dementia, and alzheimer’s. For more information on this nutrient go to www.vitmaindcouncil.org.
Helpful hints on Vitamin D: Taking 5000 units a day of vitamin D3 is our general recommendation, unless you have had a recent Vitamin D level.
Vitamin D3 is the preferred form because it is what God made not synthetic Vitamin D2 (Vitamin D2 is the form that your doctor might prescribe for you to take once a week).
How much sun do you need to make enough Vitamin D? The most natural way to get Vitamin D is exposing your bare skin to sunlight (ultraviolet B rays). This can happen very quickly, particularly in the summer. You don’t need to tan or burn your skin to get Vitamin D. You only need to expose your skin for around half the time it takes for your skin to turn pink and begin to burn. The amount of Vitamin D produced from sunlight depends on the time of day, where you live in the world, and the color of your skin. The more skin you expose, the more Vitamin D is produced.
So, now what? Stop by or call me to discuss some of the options we have available for you here at Regel Pharmalab. We can provide you with Vitamin D testing. We have several options for you to consider when adding Vitamin D to your daily nutrients.
So, what is your Vitamin D level? (Post in comments)
Click Here for a discount on Vitmain D3 5000iu